About Rick Olson:
- “This land is your land, this land is my land,….", July 1, 2019.
- What it Means to Be an American, November 10, 2019.
- A Trib,ute to Our Veterans October 4, 2019. (The story of my personal journey with regard to serving our country in the Armed Forces). Freedom is not free!
- My Biography - The Perfect Life, October 4, 2019. I am not perfect nor has my life been without its trials and tribulations, but my collective experiences make me exceptionally qualified to perform the necessary tasks ahead. From my father dying when I was 2 months old and leaving my Mom to raise us six kids on welfare, I (and my wife of 49 years) have had the opportunity to live “the American Dream”. I wish others to have the same opportunity.
- Biography - Part 2 (the beginnings), October 4, 2019.
- Biography - Part 3, October 4, 2019.
- We hold in our hands our future. Our future is what we make it., October 4, 2019. A mythical story that reflects my personal philosophy that we can create our own futures. We need not be victims of our circumstances.
Tough Minded, Resilient, Determined
- “The Measure of a man is what he does when things go wrong.” Across America by Bicycle in 27 days Spring, 2016 begins with the what went very wrong in June of 2014 and how I dealt with adversity.
- A Friend's List of 10 things I Have in Common with President Trump, November 4, 2019.
Informed/ Well Traveled/Ready to Serve
- The blog posts linked to in Issues gives you some idea in the depth and breadth of my knowledge about issue of national interest that affect us all in our daily lives.
- I have been on a continuous learning curve as a lifelong learner, building on my law degree from Stanford Law School and completing the coursework in two Ph.D. programs (Agricultural Economics and K-12 Education Administration – “all but dissertation”). Through multiple positions in both the public and private sector, I have had to learn a lot each time. In the past 19 years, I have listened to 50-70 of the Great Courses from the Teaching Company (as well as many Coursera courses), subscribed to the Economist and Foreign Affairs magazines, as well as researched enumerable topics of interest.
- Having served as State Representative in Michigan (2011-12 – redistricted into an unwinnable district 3 months into my 2-year term) and working as an attorney for the Washington State House of Representatives Republican Caucus for 3 years in the early 1080’s, I understand how to be effective in the legislative process.
- I have traveled to 40 countries and all 50 states, which helps tie the book learning to facts on the ground. I taught at LCC International University in Klaipeda, Lithuania in January – February and September – October, 2018 which led to my organizing and leading the May 2019 tours through Eastern and Central Europe. See May 2020 Eastern European Rotary Tours Sponsored by the Prior Lake Rotary Club.
- A Tanzania African Safari - Up Close and Personal, May 7, 2019. My 10-day biking safari in Tanzania, including the Serengeti and Olduvai Gorge (the “origin of man”).
- Then I got high, then I got high, then I got high., April 30, 2019. My climb of Mt. Kilimanjaro in Tanzania in March 2019.
- I did a 19-day Trek to the Basecamp of Mt. Everest in March 2017, reaching 16.000’ before succumbing to Campylobacter bacteria and needing to be evacuated by helicopter, by the only female helicopter pilot in Nepal. Still a wonderful trip that included stops in China (Guangzhou and Hong Kong) on the way there and the United Arab Emirates (Abu Dhabi and Dubai) on the way home on my “around the world” trip.
- Across America by Bicycle in 27 days Spring, 2016: My bike ride across the USA with insights gained along the way.
- Cycling from LA to Boston: The story of my friends riding their bikes across the USA in 2018 with me driving the support truck.
- http://repolson.blogspot.com/2011/11/backcountry-map-sandy-beach-grand.html My (mis)Adventure/Hike Exploring Pure Michigan (Pictured Rocks National Seashore along the Lake Superior lakeshore) in November 2011.