I'm Rick Olson and I'm running to be your next Republican Congressman in Minnesota's 2nd Congressional District.
I love America. I was raised on welfare after my father died leaving Mom with six kids when I was two months old, but my wife of 49 years and I have had the opportunity to live the American Dream. I believe passionately in others having that same chance—and with the right policies in place I know they can.
I was born and raised in a Finnish Lutheran community in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. My wife Linda and I have moved around a lot to fulfill the dreams of a two career family. Throughout our lives we have lived in Michigan, California, Washington State and Minnesota. In 2010 I was elected to the Michigan House of Representatives by defeating a liberal Democrat in a tough Democrat leaning district. I have held a variety of positions in the public and private sector.
Professionally, I am an attorney and have served as a certified financial planner, agricultural economist, agricultural lender, agricultural cooperative manager and President, business coach, State Representative and K-12 school business manager. Most recently, I used my expertise as a school business manager in Foley Public Schools, near St. Cloud, before officially retiring in 2017.
Personally, Linda and I are the parents of two boys who we thoroughly enjoyed and we have three beautiful grandchildren. I have been an athlete most of my life and have enjoyed playing basketball, soccer, hockey, running, cycling, backpacking, mountain climbing, and being a youth coach for baseball, soccer and hockey.
Through all my professional and extracurricular endeavors, above all else, I have first considered myself a husband, father, grandfather and PROUD American from Prior Lake, Minnesota.
I strongly believe in community involvement and I feel it has given me a true sense of what real, everyday Minnesotans are looking for from their political representatives. Currently I am a:
- Member, Prior Lake Rotary – led Eastern European Tours in May 2019
- Moderator, Better Angels workshops and debates – seeking to depolarize America
- Moderator, National Issues Forum – leading civil discussions on tough policy issues
- Member, Citizens Climate Lobby – seeking a conservative solution to our environmental challenges
- Discussion Leader, Global Minnesota – leading discussions on current foreign policy issues
- Member, YMCA—seeking to inspire seniors to exercise and enhance their quality of life